Today I posted on my Instagram (@businessbasic) a photo of yesterday’s wine because even though I have a list of blog topics to discuss, I couldn’t get those creative juices flowing. Well low and behold a new (yet already dear) friend of mine posted on Facebook today “Mercury in retrograde needs to retro-gtfo of here.” and everything just fell into alignment.
I don’t know about anyone else but I have been in a funk. Nothing is working right, I can not seem to remember an appointment to save my life, I have been down in the dumps, and plans keep crashing down around me. WHAT GIVES?!
Fucking Mercury, the sneaky little SOB went into retrograde on the 12th of August. Why does this matter? Well for the planet itself it means that there is a perceived reversal in the planet’s West to East movement through the stars and other celestial bodies (1). This means that instead of moving around the sun in the same way all the other planets do, it does the exact opposite. Why is it perceived? Well it isn’t actually changing at all, but the way you would see Mercury move around if you were standing on Earth does. Mercury’s orbit is smaller than Earth’s, and also faster. When it catches up with our planet’s orbit, and subsequently passes it, the illusion that Mercury has changed direction commences. (1) Neat eh?
So what the heck does this have to do with me and every other latte sipping, yoga pant wearing basic babe freaking out and WHY am I now sitting here as I write this listing out everything that has happened that can be attributed to this perceived shift to my boyfriend like a nut?
If you’ve heard of astrology, then you know that Mercury in retrograde is a constant yet unwanted house guest that passes through our lives, drinks all our almond milk, steals our favourite top, and then bails. In astrology Mercury rules communication, clear thinking, travel and truth so when it looks like its going backwards, our lives turn upside down(2). People cannot seems to get where they need to be, say what they need to say, and our devices? Yeah they don’t want to communicate either. Not to mention communication with the self can face a serious breakdown. Some things you may notice at this time:
- Traffic SUCKS more than usual
- You lose all your data for that big project
- Electronics, appliances, or vehicles just keep breaking down
- Flights are delayed or cancelled
- You forget important documents like a passport or health card at home
- If you’re like me…. you show up on the wrong day to see the doctor even though you had it in your planner
- You want to get out your mermaid blanket (wait…. you don’t have one of those? You are missing out), switch on the Netflix and hermit away from the world
- You feel stuck in a rut that you just cannot escape
So what can we do in this time of confusion? Below are some tips to make the best out of the crazy time we face.
- BACK UP YOUR DATA. Seriously just do it. Save yourself the headache, and triple save your hard work on that project or else you may find it lost before the deadline.
- TAKE A DEEP BREATH. This rut will not last forever, this is not the normal you. Use this time to breath, reflect, and be thankful for some of the things that have gone great recently. In addition if you find you just are not able to get your point across during a discussion (or argument) take a breather, and calmly state your point again. You’d be surprised how much conflict can be avoided when this is done.
- REVISIT OLD PROJECTS. As Mercury “moves backwards” it is a good time to circle back to unfinished business. You will find yourself more able to pick up where you left off, and cross those things off of your to do list. Don’t have any? Reach out to old friends you have not talked to in a long time. The backwardness of this communication period facilitates those conversations more easily.
- JUST ACCEPT THAT THIS IS A CRUMMY TIME AND TRIPLE CHECK EVERYTHING. I know as a busy businesswoman I am often too busy to read all of the details as I am off to take over the world. Now more than any other time however, lines can get crossed. Making a big purchase? Read every inch of the warranty to make sure if something is wrong you can bring that sucker back. New contract? (though you should read it anyway) read it over and make sure that when you sign on the dotted line it is exactly what you signed up for. Going away? Write a list of what you need to bring, and check each item off the list as you pack it. Then check again and put another checkmark beside that item on the list. You aren’t going anywhere without a passport.
- EMBRACE IT. This is traditionally a time where creative people thrive due to different patterns of thinking and new directions popping up all over the place. Tune out the complaints from other people by taking your creative side for a spin. Want to paint? GO FOR IT! Rearrange your office space? Absolutely. OR see if you can generate some great new business ideas, flesh them out really well, and when you’re good and ready, grab a coffee and dominate the industry. Hang in there, you’ve got this.
(1)Kubota, T. (2016, May 09). Mercury in retrograde: What it really means. Retrieved August 17, 2017, from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-truth-behind-mercury-retrograde-affect-human-lives/
(2)Mercury Retrograde: How to Survive A 3-Week Communication Crisis. (2017, August 15). Retrieved August 17, 2017, from http://astrostyle.com/mercury-retrograde/